Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Prologue No(logue)

I went in to the studio yesterday, and tried tweaking my intro. There are soo many different opinions when it comes to that track. Its a simple one minute prologue, that should describe my whole album. Its almost like a thesis statement, unlike a thesis statement this is the one song that will make people want to listen to the rest of the track. Whereas with a thesis statement people are almost obliged to read the rest.

The first version I had of the intro is soft, short and good. Not great, but good enough to be released. At this point I'm not sure if I have time to be picky. Isna is coming up, in about three weeks. Every time I mention Isna I get nervous, not sure if I will be able to make it. Not making Isna isn't even an option, because if that does occur then I would have to wait till December to release something. Plus Isna is an opportunity I really don't want to let go.

I sent the track to a couple of close friends, critiques and some family members. I got a positive response from some and a negative response from others. There was no "in the middle" response. It seems like its a track that's either loved or hated. I am actually very very confused at the moment, because I was satisfied with the way it was to begin with, and after tweaking it I like the second version as well. I feel like the second version is raw, and the lyrics are good they describe who I am as an artist, and they also describe my album.

What to do? Ask more people? Maybe I should just do without an intro. Who cares if there isn't one? I care actually, I don't think I would release it without an intro. The comments I received about the second version where all similar, the negative comments were that I was trying too hard, and I sound like I'm screaming instead of rapping. However the positive comments contradict that, and say it sounds great that I'm outraged, because that makes it sound soulful and it also makes it sound like its coming from a deep anger that resonates inside.

1 comment:

Keefie said...

I just listened to it again to make sure if I do like it. I think it is strong and I loved it. So did Muhammad.

-Om Muhammad.